|Lemon Chiffon Cake with Almond Flour|
A chiffon is based on the principle of beating egg whites to a light, fluffy consistency. Priscilla recommends starting with a clean bowl and working quickly once the egg whites have been whipped; they will deflate if left standing. Then, gently fold egg whites into the batter in thirds to incorporate them without losing air. The recipe also works well with juiced oranges and orange zest, if that’s your preference. Bon Apetit!
Lemon Chiffon Cake (Gluten Free)
Yield: 1 Tube Cake, 10 in.
2 1/3 cups (6 ounces) American Almond ™ Blanched Almond Flour
½ cup potato starch
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ cup vegetable oil
6 egg yolks
½ cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
8 whites egg whites
¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2 tsp. orange zest
- Stir together the blanched Almond Flour, potato starch, ¾ cup of the sugar and the baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix the oil, yolks, juice, zest and vanilla. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Slowly beat in the remaining sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Stir one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 325°F until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 1 hour.
- Immediately invert the pan over the neck of a wine bottle. Allow the cake to hang upside down until completely cool, and then remove from the pan.
- Stir the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over the top of the cooled cake.